Let's Get Started

You and I going to raise the bar for geocaching swag, without spending a lot of money. I know the journey is supposed to be the reward, but come on. If you want McToys buy a meal. Hunt micros if you need no tangible reward. I want treasure.
Now let's make some.
Bookmark and Share

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Bottle Cap Coins


Start slammin' cold ones this summer cuz bottle caps are the raw ingredient for this round of homebrew geocoins. Throw some bling-bling glitter and custom logos in the bottom of a bottle cap, then fill it with two cc's of epoxy, and cha-ching! instant personalized geocoin. Photos, bugs, sprinkles, candy, and wire are the sorts of mixed media that can be cast into the epoxy. Try googling "bottle cap art" to get more ideas and have fun collecting those caps. Extra tip: You can probably pick up a free 6CC syringe at your local pharmacy if you don't look like a heroin addict (sorry ma).

Bottle Cap: $0.03
Epoxy: $0.06
Mixed Media: $0.01
TOTAL: $0.10

11 comments:

Rocky said...

I had a hard time getting epoxy for the price you indicated. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a tube which made me eight caps and it cost $5. Can you provide your source?

Anonymous said...

I paid $8 for 8oz. of EasyCast epoxy at Hobby Lobby.

Anonymous said...

how is this
http://store.creative-wholesale.com/Home/tabid/118/CategoryID/25/Category2ID/168/List/1/Level/2/Default.aspx?SortField=Free3%20DESC,ProductName

Renzo Tobias said...

That's the stuff. Figure 8oz will make at least 120 caps. Check e-bay for caps. I paid $3.50 for 100.

Unknown said...

How can I get a custom Number so peole can track my coin?

Renzo Tobias said...

Kush, you can try this site but it won't work on geocaching.com: http://www.sigitem.com/

Unknown said...

This mesage might be a re.eat, if so, sorry

Did you also epoxy the edges, they are rouh and kind of sharp

Renzo Tobias said...

Kush, no epoxy on the edges - they haven't been a problem.

zomar said...

Ooooo, a fellow cacher and I have been looking for ideas on sig items and wouldn't ya know it? Renzo is on the ball as usual. These look great and the price is right for sure. Thanx for the tip! (blog bookmarked) I think I may go hit Hobby Lobby this afternoon...

Mer said...

I think I just read almost your entire blog. Thanks for all the great ideas. I especially like these bottle cap projects. I just got started with geocaching, and want the swag I leave behind to be something people are excited to find. :)

Thanks again!

Neil said...

I made a batch of signature items using Hobgoblin beer bottle caps. They have been admired by the geocachers who have picked them up. Thanks for your excellent blog!
Hobgoblinkiteflier