Let's Get Started

You and I going to raise the bar for geocaching swag, without spending a lot of money. I know the journey is supposed to be the reward, but come on. If you want McToys buy a meal. Hunt micros if you need no tangible reward. I want treasure.
Now let's make some.
Bookmark and Share

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Finneus Fishbottom Retires (Again)

The Final Act of Finneus Fishbottom was my second library cache. Here's how it worked: The posted coordinates were for the library. Once inside, the cache description directed the seeker to a locked box in plain site of the help desk. Stenciled on the box were a set of coordinates for a dog tag hidden outside. The dog tag had the call number of a hollow book in the reference section (so it couldn't be checked out). The book contained a puzzle and riddle to solve the combination on the box. So finding the cache was easy, getting it open was the challenge.

I had a blast designing the book cover. It's a play on our local reviewer Abe Froman the "Sausage King" from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I also had some fun with the puzzle. The alphabetic lock was configured to open with a particular four letter word. The puzzle was four handmade alphabet blocks with a different color and letter on each side. Matching the colors yielded six four letter words to unscramble: ring, rare, gilt, coin, loot, and rich. The riddle inside the hollow book read, "Sincerest apologies if you sought knowledge amongst these pages of delicious sausage. But a final clue to a treasure greater than seasoned meats should null displeasure. Six words do hint at a seventh most important to unlock a small box full of enjoyment." Can you guess the word?

Opening the box, Finneus left a final message, "Line your pockets with gold, but truth be told, the real treasures are books - look about and behold." All the swag was gold themed including chocolate gold coins. I think you'll agree we have an awesome library to allow such shenanigans under their roof.

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

Oh please don't stop I have been geocaching for about a month now and have been searching all over the web for a site like your that give ideas for signature swag and so many other things like your one flier and code crane. I have had some bad luck with finding caches recently and it put me down but your blog completely lifted me back up. My username is TeamAdventure3 in case you were curious. Most of the time I do it with my mom and little brother and/or little sister. But can't seem to get my husband into it. Well thank you very much for blogging, keep the good stuff coming.

P.s. especially loved the bottle caps!